Home   Forum   Register   Login   Search

Board index » The Infamous Casanova Crew Forum » Off Topic » Stock Market/Wealth Building

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:59 pm 

OCTANE wrote:
Curious to know how your EU picks are doing now. Italy definitely hit the world markets pretty hard. Lots of fear out there.

Haha maybe I got out of my .EU pennies at the right time...

Either way Chinese investors have been FUCKING my real estate deals up.

They pay 50k above asking price, close in 12 days, and pay all cash... Nobody will compete with that.

I would be interested to see some Chinese penny stocks but have no idea where to look for the type I generally would buy.

Girl. Hot girl. Get hot girl.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on OrkutShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on DeliciousShare on TechnoratiShare on TumblrShare on Google+

Post Posted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:08 pm 

I hardly read anything in this thread, don't have time now. But I read the first few posts by dB. For one, don't get to hooked up on p/e number. It is one way to value a stock, but there is so much more you need to find out before you can estimate the value a company.

But, yes read up on Warren Buffet. One fantastic investor with simple strategy. Buy good companies that you understand, at a good price. Then keep these stocks forever (pretty much).

Always check out who the owners are. I prefer to buy companies where the owners are of blood and flesh, rather than companies. Check out their competition. Do they have a monopoly or lots of competition? Can they be competitive whilst still staying profitable. Do you think that the business idea is still valid in 10 years?

Don't follow the market, have some ice in your stomach and be cool. If you bought a stock at 100$ and it has declined to 50$. What do you do? You buy more (unless something unexpected happened and you no longer believe in the stock). If you don't your never gonna get your money back. A stock which looses 50% of its value needs to go up by 200% for you to get your money back. A stock which looses 75% of its value needs to go up 400%.

But guys, please read up on the FED, what they are doing with the dollar. END THE FED! Ron Paul for President 2012!

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:36 am 
Host of the Decibel Show "n00b"/CCLA Member/CC Best Homegrown Coach 2010

PE is one of many factors to look at when deciding whether to invest. And yeah one of the reasons I am so interested in the market is its similarity to pick up.

The market is a cranky bitch. Up one minute, down the next, for no fucking reason. Your job as a man/investor is to stay level-headed and not submit to the market's emotional lability. Most my stocks will take a dive this month. If I had cash, I'd buy more. Right now, I'm all in and waiting for the rebound.

The key to remember is the market will ALWAYS rebound. May not happen for years, but we are right now well above where we were a few decades ago. If you can plant the seeds and wait until each stock has hit its peak, then reap the rewards, you will start accruing benefits. If you sell when the stock is falling, you fail. Unless as you said the company is a dud or something has changed fundamentally.

One pick this week: DUG. I sold DIG about the time I felt oil prices had peaked, and bought DUG. DUG is an inverse of DIG, so when oil prices drop, DUG goes up. I have DIG in my portfolio for if and when oil prices go back up or when there's a general rally. Buying DIG/DUG is speculative, though, so you need to stay on your toes.

The Chodefest Journals. dB's reports in one spell-binding ebook.

MAN SCHOOL. Let's get this handled.

Coming soon, my directorial debut, Blood Rush.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:59 am 

I know what p/e is, and it has a limited use imo. Good way to see the earnings in a historic perspective against the same stock.

I am not familiar with DIG and DUG, perhaps because most of my trading is done on the swedish stock exchange. But if I understood your post, they go up when the oil goes up, and down when it goes up. Usually by 1.5X, is this the case?

This is not a smart way to invest. Do some longer term calculations and use the price of oil and the price of that stock or bond or whatever it is. You will see how shitty it is. I have big problems explaining why, lack of english I guess.

And dB, I wouldn't recommend you to be all in. You should keep some liquid assets. Kind of how at a poker table you shouldn't be very low stacked, then you can't make any moves if required to.

Also, the stock market always goes up you say. Yes, I used to believe this to. But seeing what is going on in the world today I'm not sure about that anymore.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:58 pm 

As I said DIG/DUG aren't investments at all. These are speculative plays. I got into DIG at 37 and out at 45, which has been one of my highest yielders. I took that cash and bought DUG as oil slid with sentiment. Sold that and put the cash into EPV, which goes up as Europe gets worse. Which I anticipate it will.

These are inverse short speculations, useful to get some quick cash, but in no way investments. I allow myself about 15% of my portfolio to be used for speculating.

I agree it's best to have some cash available and I plan on keeping it at about 15% initially.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:08 pm 

Here is the proshares site for those interested...

http://www.proshares.com/funds/epv.html

Post Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:06 pm 

The other one to look into for those who want to aggressively hedge is TZA which is a triple inverse against our market. These two stocks went up 6 and 9% today alone while the rest of the world crashed. I expect them to continue this run until Europe gets fixed. Right now though risky these are smart bets.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:21 am 

I'll share a mistake I made so you can avoid it.

First off, anyone who wants to learn how to invest or trade should expect to lose some money, and as long as you're working within your means, that should be acceptable and attributable to part of the learning process. When I spent 3 years learning pick up, I lost money (dates, drinks, speeding ticket, car towed, cover fees, parking, etc). Again, I chalk this all up to the cost of my education, and eventually this all paid off for me in other ways.

I played against the European markets with EPV, and over the weekend I made money. I went to take it out Sunday night, seeing as news was beginning to turn around, but I couldn't. I had to keep that money in EPV for another couple days, and I watched the stock lose a lot as Europe rallied.

The problem is, when you sell a stock, the money you collect is "unsettled." It stays unsettled for 3 days following the sell, at which point it becomes "settled." The law lets you use that unsettled money to buy stuff, but after that point, you can't sell it until those 3 days have passed.

I just bought UPV, which goes up with Europe, but this time I did it with settled funds. Meaning now if overnight I see Europe takes a downturn, I can pull out before losing money. In short, always speculate with settled cash, never with unsettled cash.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:07 pm 

Today was the largest rally we've seen since 2009.

One important point was proven. Nearly every expert I've read over the past week or two has said the market is done for. Cramer, Jubek, all the guys who get big bucks for their market advice were all telling us to get out of the market and into cash, that Monday's rally would fade by today, etc etc. They were all wrong.

Nobody can predict the market. Chasing after money usually fails. The guys who have made the most money have bought and held undervalued stocks of good companies for long periods. They don't get depressed when the market slides or excited when it rallies. Time and time again I hear this advice, along with "I've never drawn a line on a stock graph in my life." There may be some use in technical analysis, but on days like today you realize sentiment and psychology trump TA.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:27 pm 

Here's a recap of a few of my misteps:

1. There are only 2 long stocks in my portfolio that are down. Starbucks and baidu.
What is unique about them is they are the only two stocks I bought with PEs above 20. So losing on those during a crash isn't unexpected. My undervalued stocks lost some but rebounded well.

It again reminds me to respect the PE. High PEs aren't a reason not to buy, but the better option sometimes is to watch and wait for the price to drop.

2. NDN 99 cents. A great company but a stock with zero volatility. Whether it's a good or bad market day, NDN almost never budges more than a few cents. If you want a very stable company for long term growth, buy it. I'm looking for something with more price movement. I sold NDN for a tiny profit.

3. DIG. I got into it thinking it would reflect oil prices, and it has to a degree. But I'm finding a disconnect between oil and pump prices, a heavy connection to market mood, and possibly some illegal price manipulation of world oil prices. I'll wait to turn a profit then look for a different energy option, maybe pipelines.

Again my best investment to date has probably been KKR. Still a good deal with a lot of upside potential.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Board index » The Infamous Casanova Crew Forum » Off Topic » Stock Market/Wealth Building