Home   Forum   Mini-Chat  Register   Login   Search

Board index » The Infamous Casanova Crew Forum » Pick Up Lines, Tips & Techniques

Post subject: Developing Banter Skill
 Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 12:15 pm 

We all know there are plenty of banter lines out there... what I'd like to know is how to cultivate my natural ability to banter.

Pickup 101 has a great article on setting banter in the frame of role-playing (http://www.pickup101.com/blog/make-bant ... very-time/).

For some of you wittier Casanovas: How did you develop your banter skills?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on OrkutShare on DiggShare on RedditShare on DeliciousShare on TechnoratiShare on Google+

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:03 pm 
Aspiring Casanova

Last edited by shakeshi on Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:09 pm 
CCLA Member

Niceguy, Zar and Hydro should definitely chime in on this...

A lot of mine comes naturally but one thing I do is I banter with EVERYONE.

Guys and girls. My family, friends, coworkers, girls I like, etc. Albeit the banter is a bit different in each context.

But my point is I think to develop this skill you should be doing it with everyone. It shouldn't be something you ONLY do to girls or worse only girls you're interested in. It should be a part of you - it's an attitude.

I also believe that if it's just not something you take to well, no matter how much you practice you can make up for it a bit by being more dominant and leading in conversations.

Somethings I think might help:

1. Taking a comedy improv class

2. Watching funny/witty shows & movies

3. Mental Floss magazine

4. Go over convo's from infield and write 2 or 3 banter responses (role-playing, teasing, c/f etc.) you could have used. Soon you'll have a huge list of original or borrowed or a mash of content.

5. Eat the brains of witty CC guys.

6. Don't be afriad to say lame shit - this was a big one that helped me. I used to be afriad of making an off joke and what people would think but now I don't give two shits. If you wanna make an omelette...For all the stuff I say that hits I also say stuff that's straight lame or cheeseball sometimes - you just gotta hold the frame and make sure your chees'n doesn't outweigh your crowd pleas'n. Just takes practice.

7. Dissect great banter/comedy - what makes it work? Is the line a role-play? A tease? Reversing or twisting frames? All three?

8. Embrace and extend - this is a Brad P. concept, but it basically means take some stuff already out there and use over and over, you'll start to add your own twist as time goes on. Memorize like 3 role plays, 3 teases, etc. then use those everytime you go out, eventually you'll find yourself creating new ones from those or changing them a bit.

That's my .27 MXN worth (that's 2 cents in pesos...)

My blog:TAKE THE RED PILL

Post Posted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:07 pm 

i am also working on developing my banter, keflex.

i hear from many of the more experienced and skilled Casanovas that witty banter is super efficient in building attraction. ive heard some say it is MOST efficient

i am currently watching tons of comedy, and bantering with EVERYONE.

when i do banter with people, it gets me out of my head, and puts me in a very fun positive flow state.

and i must agree that was a great post MT

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:46 am 

keflex wrote:
For some of you wittier Casanovas: How did you develop your banter skills?

My buddies. We constantly busted on each other mercilessly.

But, Megatron pretty much summed it up... especially #5. Fuckin guy. I would just practice bantering with everyone at all times. Try to find something funny in what everyone says.

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:53 am 
CCLA Member

And actually by EVERYONE I meant - make fun of Hydro on the board!

My blog:TAKE THE RED PILL

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:22 am 
CC MVP Sept. 2008 & Aug. 2009

Megatron wrote:
And actually by EVERYONE I meant - make fun of Hydro on the board!

Free shots at Hydro. :pardon:

But like Zar said, Megatron hit it on the dot. Just always fuck around with everybody. If I'm messing with new lines EVERYBODY is gonna hear it.

I'll just cut people off, "What was your name again?" or "THAT'S WHAT THEY ALL SAY."

Another mindset I like to have in field is that they're already my friend. So when I bust on them my frame is strong enough to where it doesn't matter that I'm fuckin' with 'em.

I agree with Megatron about messing up too. I've said some of the corniest shit and right after I'm like, "JEEZUS, I try my best and I don't even get a laugh. There goes my career." And either you continue joking or they'll ask, "So what do you do?" So you can either joke again or make a real convo out of it.

I get a lot of my stuff from playing with my friends 3 yr. old daughter when I go to visit. No lie. Bantering with kids helps a lot. And that's only if you don't talk to them like they're 3.

Hope that helped.

Post Posted: Wed May 20, 2009 10:33 am 
CCSD Member

Bro if you look up on Youtube or what ever....type in Hecklers... u can watch comic distroy people in the audience.

Joe rogan is really good at that shit.

Im sure uv heard this be for. But watch funny movies listen to popular comics.

Dane cook, Louis CK,danial Tosh, Joe Rogan....

Also all the movies produced by the dudes that made SuperBad, 40year old virgin..ect.
have really good set ups for witty banter

Cheers,
Mr.Pink

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:14 pm 

keflex

The guys above have good advice, but this is what i suggest because it has worked for me:

1. Create a BANTER DECK. Take flash cards, and write banter lines on one side and a name for the banter on the other.
2. DAILY, make it habit to review your banter deck. This means, you tell yourself, for 1 hour a day, I will go through the entire deck TWICE. This will ease tension in knowing if u are prepared or if u are making progress in being naturally witty. Say the banter out loud and practice delivery.
3. MAKE SURE U KEEP STUDYING YOUR DECK DAILY.
4. MAKE SURE U KEEP STUDYING YOUR DECK DAILY.
5. Over time, you will find yourself in sets and those banter lines will emerge. In fact, using banter lines puts u in flow and a creative state. You will eventually naturally become wittier cuz ur mind will pick up on some of the structure of banter (push-pull, C&F).
6. Over time, you will be in flow more often, or you will hear things other have said, WRITE THESE DOWN. Keep adding to your deck.

I hope that helps,
Brando

Last edited by Brando on Thu May 21, 2009 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:33 pm 
CC Hollywood Member

http://www.seductionbase.com/seduction/ ... s/686.html

also see banter deck here

http://www.pickup101.com/training/asset ... k-2007.pdf

"The only reason to put a woman on a pedestal is so you can look up her skirt"

- Gary Brodsky

Board index » The Infamous Casanova Crew Forum » Pick Up Lines, Tips & Techniques